Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBreaking the silence

Breaking the silence

Sudden hearing loss plunged Newtown scientist and mother-of-three Sinéad Williams into a “terrifying silent world” for five weeks earlier this year.

But a cochlear implant has helped her resume her potentially life-saving research into drugs to fight COVID-19.

“I’m actually hearing better than I ever did,” she said outside her Newtown home on Tuesday morning, as birds tweeted, power tools blared and cars drove past nearby.

Sinéad was born in Ireland with profound hearing loss after her mother contracted rubella while pregnant.

“My mum was told I would never be able to speak,” she said.

But Sinéad learned, went through mainstream school and, motivated by her hearing loss, completed a PhD in virology in Scotland.

“I was fascinated that I lost my hearing to the rubella virus,” she said.

She remembered the first day her future Australian husband David, a CSRIO scientist, walked into the lab in Glasgow.

“I thought he was gorgeous,” she said.

The two became friends, started dating and eventually moved to Australia.

“I was up for the adventure,” Sinéad said.

Sinéad has worn a hearing aid on her left ear for most of her life, with almost no hearing in her right.

But in January, while on holiday in NSW with her family, she realised something was terribly wrong.

“I woke up one morning and didn’t feel well,” she said.

“My hearing had gone by the afternoon.”

Sinéad descended into “the silent world” for five weeks, which she described as “terrifying.”

“I still get quite emotional when I think about it,” she said.

“I couldn’t hear my husband, my children, I had no hearing all around me.”

After two weeks of steroid treatments, she could only hear 12 per cent of words and 37 per cent of sounds.

Even after the treatment she felt “frustrated” and “isolated” not being able to hear family, friends and work colleagues.

Perhaps most upsetting was not being able to monitor the speech of her youngest son Toby, 5, who has down syndrome.

“I remember his speech therapist would ask me, ‘what is he saying?’ and I would say ‘I don’t know’,” she said.

“I was having to rely on others to tell me.”

On the advice of ear specialists, she took the plunge and underwent surgery for a cochlear implant.

After another two weeks in the silent world, she took a while to adjust to artificial hearing when specialists turned the implant on.

“I didn’t like my voice at all at first,” she said.

“That was a very surreal experience because it sounded like a robot sound. It takes time to tolerate the electrical stimulation.”

But she got used to the sound in various ways, including reading to Toby.

“Now I’m in a much better position to help him with his speech development,” she said.

She now hears 56 per cent of words and 80 per cent of sounds thanks to the implant.

“The older two boys are a bit more careful what they say around me now because I’m hearing better,” she laughed.

“I just can’t believe how powerful this technology is.”

The implant has also helped with her potentially lifesaving work at CSRIO to fight COVID-19.

Sinéad is part of a team of scientists that has grown cells to mimic the lung’s response to SARS-CoV-2, the virus causing the pandemic, and screen possible drug treatments.

For information: www.cochlear.com.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...