Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy‘Lara West’ underway by 2014, says spokesperson

‘Lara West’ underway by 2014, says spokesperson

By John Van Klaveren
DEVELOPMENT of a Lara West growth area should be “well underway” by 2014, according to its developer.
ABC Project Management’s Peter Davy expected the plans to be exhibited within a month, followed by a development panel hearing.
Geelong’s council this week voted to ask Planning Minister Matthew Guy for a planning scheme amendment.
“By the middle of next year we should have the formal rezoning with development well underway by 2014,” Mr Davy said.
The Independent revealed in February that the 4000-lot subdivision could almost double Lara’s population.
Mr Davy is acting for landowners seeking to develop the site, bound by Patullos, O’Hallorans, Windemere and Bacchus Marsh Rds.
He described the landowners as long-time Lara residents who wanted to provide community and utility services meeting some of the “current shortfall”.
The concept plan included two new state school sites, sport facilities, community meeting rooms, child care centres and traffic infrastructure to service shopping areas.
“For the first time services and community facilities will be provided as part of the development. Council is tying the developers to a commitment to pay for these new facilities,” Mr Davy said.
“The public can be certain that things will be built when they’re needed.”
Lara ward councillor Cameron Granger said the application addressed issues infrastructure and environmental issues.
“We’re seeking the minister’s approval so we can find out what Lara residents think about the proposal. I’m very eager to hear the community’s thoughts.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...