Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyGeelong MPs ‘face rorts inquiry push’

Geelong MPs ‘face rorts inquiry push’

By Luke Voogt

Three Geelong MPs face a parliamentary inquiry into election funding rorts, opposition leader Matthew Guy has announced.
He said the coalition would call for an inquiry next week after Victorian Ombudsman Deborah Glass revealed on Tuesday that the ALP spent $388,000 of taxpayers’ money on its 2014 election campaign.
“The findings of the Ombudsman’s investigation are just the tip of the iceberg,” Mr Guy said.
“The public deserve to know exactly how much has been rorted and by which Labor MPs.”
More than 20 Labor MPs signed time sheets for electorate officers who were campaigning for party candidates in other electorates, the Ombudsman’s report found.
Lara MP John Eren paid $2358 for an electorate officer to campaign on behalf of Lisa Neville in her seat of Bellarine, the Ombudsman reported.
The officer, Jake Finnigan, blew the whistle on the funding arrangements in 2015, prompting the investigation.
Mr Finnigan told 3AW on Wednesday that he met Mr Eren only briefly but blowing the whistle left him jobless.
The government paid $20,559 to an electorate officer in upper house MP Gayle Tierney’s Geelong office, who was in fact campaigning for South Barwon Labor candidate Andy Richards.
The government spent $1 million in taxpayer funds challenging the Ombudsman’s investigation in the courts over following years.
Mr Guy accused the government of hindering the investigation “to cover up their rorting”.
He said the opposition would move for a Legislative Council Select Committee to “get to the bottom of it”.
Local coalition MP Simon Ramsay welcomed the committee, after this week calling for the Geelong MPs to resign their ministerial posts.
“People have lost trust and faith in all three of them,” the Member for Western Victoria said.
“If they all think this is going to go away next week they’ve got another thing coming.“
But Mr Eren accused the opposition milking the scandal for “political mileage“, given the Ombudsman noted the MPs acted in good faith.
To his understanding, the funding arrangement was extension of “pool staff” arrangements which both parties had used for more than 20 years.
The Ombudsman had described the guidelines for the funding as ambiguous and had already taken action to clarify them, he said.
But Mr Eren admitted the scandal was not a good look.
“It doesn’t pass the pub test,” he said. “The expectation of the community is totally different to what it was 20 years ago.”
Mr Eren pointed out that Premier Daniel Andrews had promised to pay the $388,000.
“I apologise, like the Premier has apologised, as to the way this has played out,” he said.
Mr Eren said he had expressed his doubts about the funding arrangement to the coordinator of the scheme, John Lenders who this week quit as chairman of the state’s major rail assets corporation VicTrack .
The coalition requires support from the Greens or the cross bench in the upper house to establish the select committee.
Of the three Geelong MPs, the committee can only compel upper house member Gayle Tierney to give evidence.
Mr Eren said he would refuse to be part of the opposition’s “political stunts” if the committee requested him to appear.
Ms Neville told the Indy she was not investigated by the Ombudsman “at any stage”.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...