Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyTAFE cuts shock

TAFE cuts shock

By Michelle Herbison
STAFF AT Gordon Institute of TAFE are bracing for job cuts after an analysis estimated State Government funding cuts at $14.6 million.
Gordon chief executive office Grant Sutherland warned of “significant” job losses and course cancellations “across all levels and areas of the institute”.
The budget cuts were on top of a $2.5 million funding decrease in October, Mr Sutherland said.
The institute’s 2012 revenue budget was $69.9 million.
Mr Sutherland said the institute had yet to determine how many staff would lose their jobs.
“The Gordon will have to redefine our operations and reinvent ourselves to be able to operate within severe financial constraints,” Mr Sutherland said.
“We must shape and drive our own destiny.”
Mr Sutherland said the institution must submit a transition plan to a Government-appointed independent panel by June 30.
“This deadline will be a major influence on the timing of redundancies and other key decisions.”
Australian Education Union acting vice-president Greg Barclay expected the cuts to have the biggest impact on “E band” courses and associated jobs.
E band courses included retail, business, hospitality, process manufacturing, health and outdoor education.
“Some of these courses’ funding is down to $1.50 an hour. We believe no institute will be able to provide them in a financially viable way.”
Mr Barclay said funding would be halved to $5 an hour for courses in B, C and D bands.
“The Baillieu Government has clearly shown it has no commitment whatsoever to the public TAFE system. In order to cover the profiteering of the private sector it has ripped the heart and soul out of TAFE.”
Mr Barclay said TAFE providers had labelled the funding cuts “privatisation by another name”.
“The Government blew the budget last year because it gave too much money to the private sector to run cheap courses. The courses its decided to cut the funding to are courses TAFEs traditionally ran for decades but now the greedy private providers profiteer out of the system.”
Mr Barclay said he doubted even private providers would run E band courses.
“They’ve made it so unattractive by providing a price so low, who’s going to run them in the future?”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...