Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyLobby ‘spend doubt’: Turbine seeking subsidies

Lobby ‘spend doubt’: Turbine seeking subsidies

Innovative: MP David O’Brien and Austeng’s Ross George with an Eco Whisper turbine. Innovative: MP David O’Brien and Austeng’s Ross George with an Eco Whisper turbine.

By John Van Klaveren
GEELONG’S council could reap a better return from its spending on two lobby groups, according to a former mayor.
Cr Bruce Harwood questioned the effectiveness of both groups after council renewed its financial commitments to them.
“There’s too much talk and not enough action. Too many glossy brochures, not enough rubber on the road,” Cr Harwood said.
The mayors of the region’s five councils signed a four-year agreement last Friday to continue funding G21 Regional Alliance. Geelong’s council agreed in March to maintain its $22,000 membership of Committee for Geelong.
Geelong council will provide G21 with funding of $403,000, based on its 75 per cent share of the region’s population. The contribution rises to $453,000 in the fourth year of the new agreement.
Cr Harwood said the next council, to be elected in October, could revoke its G21 membership with a year’s notice.
“Not only is the City the major funding body but also far and away the largest resource provider. Our senior management, officers and councillors are engaged in almost all the pillars of G21, which is a cost also borne by the City.”
Cr Harwood said a streamlined panel of regional experts advising council would have greater efficiency and effectiveness.
“Panel representatives would have the capacity to speak on behalf of their respective industries.
“I’m sure there’ll be people who won’t be happy about this idea but it would reduce the time it’s taking us to get…firm ideas and commitments to Spring St and Canberra.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...
More News

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...