Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyParents fume over burned-out school

Parents fume over burned-out school

By Luke Voogt

Outraged parents have slammed the Andrews Government’s failure to repair a Geelong school eight months after vandals burnt down its newest building.
“We’ve had enough,” said Newcomb Park Primary School Council president Miranda Hurley.
“We got to the end of term three and nothing had been done. I thought ‘this is crazy’.
“I’ve had to turn to the media to speed things up … due to frustratingly long periods of waiting.”
Arsonists torched the building on 24 January, destroying the building for grades prep to thee and school ceremonies.
The state opposition slammed the government yesterday for neglecting the rebuild while providing $3.1 million to a school in the marginal Labor seat of Northcote, set for a by-election after the death of MP Fiona Richardson.
But Newcomb’s school was “completely overlooked” for funding, Ms Hurley said.
“All sorts of new projects are going on in and around Geelong as well. We’re very angry we’ve had to wait for a simple rebuild.”
The building remained ruin following a bureaucratic mistake at Victorian School Building Authority, Ms Hurley said.
“They pledged to rebuild within three or four months but instead they passed the rebuild onto another authority altogether.
“It’s been a real trial for the principal and her staff to be able to teach at Newcomb Park.”
The government announced millions of dollars in upgrades for Geelong schools this year.
“I’d like to think that the government doesn’t focus on one area more than another,” Ms Hurley said.
But the long wait had made her think otherwise, she said.
“Here we are approaching term four and not a single contractor has been to the school.”
Ms Hurley said the authority had been reluctant even to replace teaching materials lost in the fire.
The school council had also heard nothing from police regarding any suspects, she said.
Community groups and businesses had raised almost $25,000 for the school, Ms Hurley said, with the RACV donating $15,000, East Geelong Uniting Church $3000 and individuals another $1000.
“We put up the (fundraising) page knowing it would take a while for the government to recoup the costs.
“People were quite quick to empty their pockets and we were amazed by the generosity of the local community.”
The kindness of a former student was particularly stunning, Ms Hurley said.
“He walked in and gave $500 in cash to the principal.”
Victorian School Building Authority chief executive Chris Keating admitted the lack of progress at Newcomb Park was “not good enough”.
“It’s a big job, it’s a $1 million job, but there’s no doubt it’s a late project,” he told 3AW yesterday.
Mr Keating said work would begin in term four, with the repairs complete in time for next year.
But the authority was already too late, Ms Hurley said.
“We’d like the building to start straight away.
“We don’t know where we’re going to hold our grade six graduation, if we can at all.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...