Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyTAC targets women after dumping Cats

TAC targets women after dumping Cats

A Torquay women’s soccer club has signed a “major” partnership with the TAC 10 weeks after it dumped a $250,000 Cats sponsorship over skipper Joel Selwood’s lost licence.
The deal is the TAC’s second arrangement with women’s sport since Selwood was caught driving at 127km/h on the way home from Warrnambool in February.
A week later the TAC announced a partnership with the AFL’s under-18 women’s competition.
The new deal with Torquay-based Galaxy United FC would promote road safety among drivers aged 18 to 25, said TAC boss Joe Calafiore.
Soccer was popular among the age group, which also accounted for the most road fatalities in Victoria, Mr Calafiore said.
“The TAC’s partnership with Galaxy United FC is about creating road safety awareness and conversations among young Victorians and their families,” he said.
“It’s important we keep finding new ways to engage with young drivers about risk-taking and help them get the experience they need to be safe on our roads.”
Under the sponsorship deal, TAC’s logo appears on Galaxy United uniforms and at its home ground in Torquay’s Banyul Warri Reserve. Galaxy United is Victoria’s only regional club in Women’s National Premier League.
“The Galaxy players are already leaders on the field, and this partnership will help them lead other young people to become safer on our roads,” Mr Calafiore said.
The TAC dumped its 11-year deal with the Cats in early March after Selwood lost his licence for a month after police caught him driving at 127km/h.
Other player driving indiscretions had strained the sponsorship relationship before Selwood, who was due to receive back his licence late last month.
“In January 2015, the GFC (Cats) stated publicly that in the event of any further serious incidents, the partnership would be relinquished, and the TAC respects the club’s integrity,” the TAC said in a statement announcing the split.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...