Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyLyons lambasts lobbies, laments lost leadership

Lyons lambasts lobbies, laments lost leadership

By Luke Voogt

Geelong’s excess of lobby groups is a “tremendous waste of money” that has failed the city, according to former mayor Darryn Lyons.
Mr Lyons’ outcry followed the regional municipality alliance G21 walking away from its efforts to secure a $5 billion defence contract for the city, axing Land 400 from G21’s “priority projects” list.
“I think it’s very poor for G21 to give up the fight,” Mr Lyons said.
“Just to drop it like a hot potato says to me (Geelong has) very disappointing representation.”
Mr Lyons said everyone from “old ladies on Pako” to “cricketers on the weekend” continually asked him the same questions – “Where has Geelong’s identity gone? Where’s the fight?”
Geelong had become “the city of committees” where State Government had too much influence over groups such as G21 and the Committee for Geelong, he said.
“They should be representing their members and their community.”
Mr Lyons described the state’s decision to base any successful Land 400 bid at Fishermans Bend as an “appalling attack” on Geelong.
Last month both final bidders for the contract told the Indy they were interested in Geelong, contradicting Industry Minister Wade Noonan’s claims they preferred Melbourne.
G21 made the decision to drop Land 400 on advice from senior state bureaucrats that the final bidders basing operations in Geelong was “extremely unlikely”.
The government “obviously has got its deep dirty hands into G21, telling it what to do,” Mr Lyons said.
“This State Government is guilty of bullying in a major way.”
But G21 chief Elaine Carbines defended G21’s decision, saying defence procurement was “a more-realistic focus”.
One of the final bidders, BAE, already had an agreement with local advanced manufacturer Marand in case BAE’s bid was successful.
“We’re confident should Victoria win the Land 400 contract our manufactures will be able to access supply chain jobs.”
Ms Carbines also defended Geelong’s multiple lobby groups, saying the city was the envy of other regions.
Geelong was lucky to have multiple groups with the city’s “future at heart”, she said.
Ms Carbines praised the work of Geelong lobby groups while calling for the state to streamline the number of authorities managing the Great Ocean Road from 13 to one.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...