Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCouncil probe 'justified'

Council probe ‘justified’

By Luke Voogt

The results of 12 months of investigations have justified the sacking of Geelong’s council last year, according to the State Government.
Local Government Minister Natalie Hutchins backed the findings, which last week’s Indy revealed as “four incidents of substantiated bullying and harassment” dating back “at least a decade”.
The Government sacked the council in April, citing bullying complaints.
This week Ms Hutchins declined to say whether the investigations had substantiated any claims against former councillors.
The Government was committed to the investigation, Ms Hutchins said.
“The people of Geelong deserve a first-class council that puts their needs first.”
Ms Hutchins also brushed off comments from Melbourne HR specialist David Simpson in last week’s Indy that the number of substantiated incidents at City Hall was “not high” for councils given the timeframe.
“The Government is not aware of another council in Victoria currently facing the issues Geelong faced,” Ms Hutchins said.
“But if we were we would make appropriate enquiries into the matter.”
Shadow local government minister David Davis said any bullying incidents at City Hall went back further than the sacked council.
“Long-term cultural problems at Geelong were overlooked for years in an effort to protect Labor councillors”.
Mr Davis said the Andrews Government “selectively focused” on Liberal-aligned Mr Lyons because of his “political stripe”.
“Things at Geelong council were far from perfect but it appears Labor sought to use this politically.”
Mr Davis rejected Mr Lyons’ accusation that the state opposition “lacked the backbone” to properly scrutinise the council’s sacking.
“The opposition as legislators made decisions on the best information available in the interests of Geelong,” Mr Davis said.
Mr Davis declined to say whether the investigation results so far justified the sacking.
But the sacking “may well have not been required” if previous state governments had addressed council’s “cultural problems” earlier, he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

Out and about

More News

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...