Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyOnly the Begining for Conway

Only the Begining for Conway

By Luke Voogt

“Guinea pigs” will hear Victorian rock icon Deborah Conway play songs from her latest album at a one-off charity show at Barwon Heads this weekend.
Everybody’s Begging, out 2 September, is the ninth album for Conway, who is celebrating the 25th anniversary of platinum-selling debut solo album String of Pearls.
“I’m really excited about how audiences will respond,” she told the Indy this week.
“Barwon Heads are the guinea pigs.”
Conway had played tracks from the album to her close circle but the Barwon Heads show would be the first time she performed them to a live audience, she said.
Conway described the new album as “very toe tapping, compulsive and elemental”.
“Everybody who has heard it so far has responded very favourably.”
The concert is part of the Music To A Tee initiative, raising money to support people with an acquired brain injury (ABI).
A portion of the proceeds will go to Geelong community services agency Karingal for people with ABI, their families and carers.
“This is an organisation that can send money in a good and positive direction,” Conway said.
The concert is only the beginning for Conway’s 25th anniversary tour, beginning at Sydney Opera House Saturday.
Barwon Heads would be her only stop in regional Victoria, she said.
“It’s basically a practice run for the big concert hall shows.”
Conway will perform with partner Willy Zygier, who she met through a “happy accident” when she was searching for guitarist early in her solo career.
Their three daughters sing backup vocals on the album and their eldest daughter will join them at the Barwon Heads concert.
The concert also features veteran Australian sister duo Vika and Linda Bull.
Conway, who launched her solo career in the 1990s, is possibly best known for the Australian smash-hit It’s Only the Beginning.
But she still had “things to say” after three decades of performing, Conway said.
“And I find song-writing is the best way for me to say them.”
The show begins at 7.30pm Friday at 13th Beach Golf Links as the first in a series of concerts at the venue.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...