Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyThree juniors make state cut for hockey nationals

Three juniors make state cut for hockey nationals

By LUKE VOOGT

Three local boys will play in School Sports Victoria’s (SSV) under-12 hockey team for the first time at national titles in a few weeks.
Torquay’s Harry Bradbury, 10, Belmont’s Kade Leigh, 11 and Highton’s Jamie van der Ploeg, 12, will begin training with the Victorian team this Sunday.
The boys have been playing since they were five or six, but all narrowly missed out in the trials for the Victorian team last year.
Sandra Bradbury said son Harry had worked hard to make the team.
He tried out last year, aged nine, playing against boys nearing 12, she said.
“This year we had a really good feeling he’d get through. He’s a really determined kid.”
Kade said he was excited about representing the SSV team in Cairns at the end of July.
“I’m looking to learning new skills.”
It will be the second SSV trial for Kade, who plays juniors for Newtown and Altona with Harry.
He’s fast, too, narrowly missing out on a spot in SSV’s 100m sprint team this year.
Jamie is part of the under-14 Geelong Junior Representative Team, which competes in a Hockey Victoria Metropolitan Junior Competition.
He was unlucky to miss out in the SSV trials last year, his mother Katey Smoker said.
“He had a bad trial, although when you’ve got 100 kids competing, it can be hard to be seen.”
The boys have also earned their families a welcome winter reprieve as they travel to sunny Queensland for the championship.
“Going to Cairns is nice when everybody has to stay here in the wet weather,” Katey said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...