Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyIndy, TAC working Towards Zero

Indy, TAC working Towards Zero

Driving down the local road toll will be the focus of a renewed partnership involving the Independent and the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).
The Independent and other regional Victorian newspapers will spearhead an on-going TAC campaign targeting country roads.
Regional media had a “major role to play in Victoria’s march toward zero road deaths and serious injuries”, said TAC boss Joe Calafiore at the partnership renewal launch last Friday.
Regional Victorians were four times more likely to die and 40 per cent more likely to suffer serious injury in road accidents than Melbourne residents, he said.
“Regional communities understand all too well the devastating impacts of road trauma so it’s essential we do everything we can to keep road safety in the minds of country Victorians.”
The TAC’s Talk the Toll Down partnership with 65 regional newspapers was launched four years ago in Ballarat.
Mr Calafiore said the TAC’s successful Talk the Toll Down campaign in regional Victoria would continue indefinitely under a new name, Towards Zero.
The revised campaign encouraged Victorians to consider how losing loved ones would affect their families and to aim for a future without death and serious injuries on Victorian roads, he said.
“Towards Zero sets an ambitious target but unless we’re aiming towards zero we’re saying to ourselves that we accept people will die or be badly hurt just because they use our roads. We can never accept that.”
Mr Calafiore said road users would always make mistakes but the goal of Towards Zero could be achieved with a safer road system.
“We’re working with our road safety partners and the Victorian Government to create a safer, more forgiving road system that will cushion people from death or serious injury when a mistake is made.”
Independent managing editor Tony Galpin welcomed the ambitious Towards Zero campaign.
“Joe noted at the launch that some people regarded the concept of a zero road toll as unachievable but, as he explained, it’s right as an aspirational target for Victoria,” Mr Galpin said.
“With new and emerging vehicle technology, continuing road-safety improvements and a greater acceptance of safe road-use practices, regional Victorians really can work towards zero.
“The price of denying this goal is just too high to accept.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...