Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyAnger at ‘chainsaw massacre’

Anger at ‘chainsaw massacre’

By PAUL MILLAR

A tree-shredding exercise along Surf Coast roads was an attack on the area’s biological heritage, according to a local environmentalist.
Bellbrae’s Graeme Stockton said local wildlife was left climbing the extinction ladder after the severe pruning to reduce the risk of fire from trees contacting power lines.
The work had trashed a tree canopy along Torquay’s Coombes and Messmate Rds, he said.
“If re-planting to restore the roadside canopy commenced tomorrow it would take some 50 years or more to put back what we already had.”
Mr Stockton said the lopping might conform to guidelines but alternatives were needed.
“This is death by a thousand cuts and nobody notices it because it happens over decades … and we don’t have a replacement program.”
Mr Stockton said the pruning was “unwittingly destroying the environment around us”.
“Birds, possums, bats they all use these corridors and they come along one day and they’re gone. There’s already a serious decline in woodland birds across Australia.”
Mr Stockton wrote to councillors about his concerns.
“The shire’s regressive roadside safety guidelines illustrate graphically the gaping void between environmental standards by the shire and what it expects from the community,” he wrote.
A Surf Coast Shire spokesman said the pruning was in line with a combination of programs to prevent fires, reduce fuel loads, improve biodiversity and improve road safety.
“Council understands that the aesthetic effect of combining the works is more pronounced. However, the works were combined to save on costs to the community.”
Qualified arborists oversaw the work, which left protected vegetation unharmed, the spokesman said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...