Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyAnzac legend Roy Longmore, an underground survivor

Anzac legend Roy Longmore, an underground survivor

By NOEL MURPHY

THEY bred them tough a century ago when Aussies threw themselves into the shocking conflagration that was Gallipoli.

The last Victorian veteran – and second-last Australian — of that campaign to pass away, in 2001 at age 107, Bannockburn’s Roy Longmore, rarely spoke of that long-ago war.

He’d been a sapper with the 2nd Division, digging beneath  Turkish posts and laying mines. He attributed his survival at Gallipoli to his subterranean occupation.

“A lot of blokes would stick their head up saying, ‘Oh, they’ll never get me,’ but they did, so I kept my head,” Longmore once said.

At six foot one, or 185cm, Longmore – who arrived at Gallipoli in October 1915 – was glad he was presented with a shovel and told to tunnel.  He considered himself lucky to be able to go underground.

After the Gallipoli evacuation of 1916, he served at Pozieres, Armentieres and Villers-Bretonneux on the Western Front.

Longmore was uninjured at Gallipoli but wounded three times in France – with shrapnel to the right thigh, right arm and left knee. For a time, he was thought dead when injured shortly before the 1918 Armistice.

“We were patrolling in a gully when suddenly half a dozen Germans appeared over a hill armed with machine guns and opened fire,” he said later.

“Jerry riddled me, knocking me flat on my back, and the last I heard was ‘Longy’s had it, they got him.”

Luckily, his mates saw Longmore move and set about rescuing him.

Roy Longmore was 21 and working as a farm-hand when he enlisted with the Australian Imperial Force. On his return, his injuries kept him from farm labour and he found work driving taxis in Melbourne.

“They’re no good, these wars,” he once said.

“A lot of lives lost, no use at all. There’s got to be another way of fixing up these rows without killing each other.”

When Longmore died, then Veterans Affairs Minister Bruce Scott described Longmore as “one of those who forged the Anzac legend, whose courage, service and sacrifice at Gallipoli laid down the tradition that … helped define us as Australians”.

He lived to see, a year earlier, recognition as an “Australian Legend” in a series of Australia Post commemorative stamps.

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Cleaning up litter

More News

Boy arrested over stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street yesterday afternoon. It is alleged a boy stabbed...

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...