Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyGeelong left watching as cruises sail on by

Geelong left watching as cruises sail on by

By John Van Klaveren

MORE cruise ships are bypassing Geelong because it lacks a wharf for passengers to disembark.
P&O Cruises this week announced new first-time destinations at Mornington and Portland, putting the “picturesque Victorian towns on the cruise map”.
The cruise line will make five calls to the Mornington Peninsula and seven to Portland over the next 12 months, injecting almost $5 million into the local communities.
The regional visits later this month were part of the leading cruise line seeking to open more regional destinations, a Carnival Australia spokesperson said.
“P&O Cruises will have five ships based locally enabling us to take our guests to new destinations around the Australian coast,” the spokesperson said.
“Cruise lines consider a wide range of factors when determining their ports of call including the appeal of the destination to passengers, the attractions it offers, local tourism infrastructure and proximity to other ports in the schedule.
“P&O Cruises is adding Portland and Mornington Peninsula to its schedules this year as both ports offer easy access to some memorable attractions and activities, from local wineries to sightseeing on the spectacular Great Ocean Road, which we believe will be popular with our guests.
“Our itineraries throughout the Pacific region feature a mixture of ports with and without wharves. Whilst it is not unusual to drop anchor and use tender boats to carry passengers ashore, it is unquestionably faster for passengers to disembark at a wharf.”
Cruise ships visiting Geelong previously have used a tender to ferry passengers ashore.
One of the most-highly rated liners in the world is slated to visit Geelong, with the sold-out five-star Marina arriving on Sunday.
The Independent last month reported the Marina, on its maiden voyage to Geelong carrying 1250 passengers, was a major coup for tourism operators.
But the city’s cruise season was dealt a blow when Seaborn Odyssey abandoned a one-day stop-over last month due to bad weather causing delays to its schedule. However, it will bring its 450 passengers to Geelong on 21 February.
Cruise ship visits to Geelong have fallen from a high of nine in recent years to three this season.
Mayor Darryn Lyons told the Independent he was working hard to get more cruise lines to Geelong.
Securing the Marina’s visit added weight to his push for a dedicated cruise ship pier, he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Out and about

More News

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...