Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyTax agent faces deception charges over missing $700,000

Tax agent faces deception charges over missing $700,000

By PAUL MILLAR

A GEELONG tax agent lived the highlife at Crown Casino by drawing funds from trusting clients to feed a massive gambling addiction, the Geelong Magistrates Court heard yesterday.
Looking ashen faced after a night in custody, Kaylene Maree Hussen glanced over a Perspex screen toward family members as the court heard that she could have stolen up to $700,000 from clients, many of them elderly.
She has been charged with obtaining property by deception, obtaining financial advantage by deception, theft and making use of false documents.
Detective Senior Constable Paul Mitchell told the court that there were potentially almost 150 victims and that the 55-year-old mother of four adult children had also allegedly been operating a Ponzi-style scheme.
“The amount of charges could go to four or five per victim, so we are looking at potentially up to 400 to 500 charges,” the detective senior constable said.
The investigator said it would take some time to determine how many of Hussen’s clients were also victims.
“We will not know a correct figure for a long-time but from 23 victims it’s over $200,000,” he said.
Records obtained from Crown Casino showed that since 2002 Hussen and her husband had lost more than $1million at the gambling centre, the court heard.
“In 2014, she spent 104 days at Crown Casino and was there for up to five hours at a time and she had accumulated three million points on her Crown card,” he said.
“She has admitted to us that she has an extreme gambling problem … it appeared to be of some relief that this finally over,” the detective added.
Evidence would show that money transferred from the accounts of her clients to her own trust account coincided with her visits to the casino, the court heard.
During the bail application hearing, it was revealed she had made full admissions about the scam but had been protective of her family and shed no blame on her husband, who had been to the casino when she was on her gambling sprees.
She was granted bail on the understanding that she not attend gaming venues, not engage in taxation matters, not leave Victoria and that she abide at her son’s home in Torquay.
She is on a $10,000 surety and will face court again on April 10.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...