Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndySots welcomes Vic cage fights

Sots welcomes Vic cage fights

By NOEL MURPHY

GEELONG mixed martial arts expert George Sotiropolous has welcomed the new Andrews Government‘s move to allow cage fighting in Victoria.
The Australian coach, who has argued legalised cage fighting could earn Victoria $45 million a tournament, said the fights would also improve safety for the sport’s competitors.
“It‘s a new era for combat sport in the world and Melbourne gets to be a part of it,” Mr Sotiropolous said.
“It‘s an exciting time for fans and participants as everyone benefits from the change in law.
“Victorians no longer need to leave the state as the big show has come to them.”
Mr Sotiropoulos has argued the safety of fighters was at risk while their sport was staged in boxing rings.
“There are lots of guys who have fallen through the ropes onto the ground, onto concrete,’’ he previously told the Independent.
Mr Sotiropoulos said concerns that cage fighting was dangerous lay with outdated perceptions of the sport.
The sport had “no rules” when it began but regulations increased as its popularity increased, he said.
“Rules have changed since then, commissions have gotten involved and fighter safety is paramount. Doctors always check fighters before and after.
“Cages present the right environment for the contest but it’s also safer for the fighters.
“MMA is not purely a striking sport. It’s wrestling and striking and we use the cage. You get pinned against the side as opposed to pinned to the ropes where you can fall.
“It’s like an enclosed trampoline.’’

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...