Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCity splashes out with Leisurelink

City splashes out with Leisurelink

Making a splash: Mayor John Mitchell and South Barwon MP Michael Crutchfield launch the Leisurelink pool this week.	 Picture: Tommy Ritchie 53024Making a splash: Mayor John Mitchell and South Barwon MP Michael Crutchfield launch the Leisurelink pool this week. Picture: Tommy Ritchie 53024

Andrew Mathieson
GEELONG’S council officially opened ratepayers’ biggest investment when the first swimmers plunged into Belmont’s new $31 million Leisurelink this week.
After several months of delays and a budget blowout, keen swimmers took their first dip in the indoor leisure centre’s pool on Tuesday amid chilly temperatures outside.
Ratepayers provided $28 million and Victorian taxpayers a further $3 million for the facility.
Mayor John Mitchell said residents deserved a state-of-the-art swim centre.
“This is the biggest project ever undertaken by the City,” he said.
“It’s been a long time in the making and I’m really excited that it’s now open for the whole community to use and enjoy.”
The centre includes an eight-lane, 50-metre competition swimming pool, three smaller, a gym and aerobics centre, a spa and a sauna.
Cr Mitchell said replacing the previous Leisurelink, in Reynolds Road, was essential to meet demand from growth around Geelong.
“The new Leisurelink will be arguably the best leisure centre in regional Victoria,” he said.
“It will cater for our current and future residents, including the new Armstrong Creek (growth area).
“Most excited of all are Leisurelink’s 5000-plus members.
“The new centre is a drastic improvement on the old one – the gym and the pools are twice as big.”
A water park section of the centre opening next month will feature two 12.5-metre-high waterslides as well as a range of other attractions.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...
More News

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...