Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyShorten cleared of Portarlington rape claims

Shorten cleared of Portarlington rape claims

RAPE allegations against federal opposition leader Bill Shorten dismissed by police were laid after a Young Labor Party at Portarlington in the 1980s.

The claim, reported late last year, involved a teenage girl, now a community nurse who lives on the New South Wales central coast.

The woman had posted complaints to Facebook and spoke also with The Australian newspaper. Media reports at the time cited only a “senior ALP figure” although blogs such as “Kangaroo Court of Australia”  openly named Mr Shorten and claimed he was interviewed by police earlier this year.

The woman was reported as saying in an online post: “In 1985 I joined the ALP. In 86, at the age of 16, I … became a delegate for state and national conferences.

“In ’86 I went to a Young Labor camp down near Geelong … I was alone.

“At about 4am there was a knock at my door. It was him at the door. He pushed me into a bathroom, up against a towel rail, pulled down my pants and raped me.”

She said she was drunk at the time the alleged assault took place, and was currently taking painkilling medication that affected her short-term memory, although she said her memory of the alleged incident itself was clear.

Mr Shorten said that after a 10 month investigation, there was “absolutely no basis to the claims”.

A Victoria Police statement confirmed the investigation was over, stating that “investigating police sought advice from the Office of Public Prosecutions, which advised there was no reasonable prospect of conviction.

“All parties have been notified that Victoria Police will not be proceeding with criminal charges.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...