Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy'Unsafe' GPAC needs $140m upgrade

‘Unsafe’ GPAC needs $140m upgrade

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

 

GEELONG Performing Arts Centre is “unsafe” and “no longer fit for purpose”, according to a funding submission.
The GPAC board’s $140 million plan to redevelop the ageing centre said it was now “non-compliant, inaccessible and non-sustainable” and must be replaced.
“GPAC was built with a 20-to-25-year lifespan. In 2014 it will be 33 years old,” the board said.
“Geelong, as home to (the National Disability Insurance Agency), needs to set standards for accessible public buildings.”
The redevelopment proposal is part of a Geelong cultural precinct master plan but faces competition for funding from other local projects including a new Yarra St pier and further upgrades at Simonds Stadium.
GPAC’s plan expected increasing demand amid the region’s “unprecedented” population growth to 500,000 by 2040.
“GPAC already attracts 235,000 attendances from a regional population of 290,000, or one in two households from greater Geelong.”
The redevelopment would also stimulate economic development and create 1300 jobs, including 600 during construction.
The plan identified the cultural precinct as a “critical element” in revitalising Geelong’s city centre and boosting tourism.
GPAC citied the support of regional bodies including Geelong’s council, municipal alliance body G21 and Committee for Geelong.
The two-stage redevelopment would include a new $30 million Ryrie St facade and spend $110 million upgrading the Lt Malop St entrance, improving theatres and expanding GPAC into neighbouring spaces and sites.
The project would also add a floor of “creative industries” offices with conference and hospitality areas and deliver an outdoor plaza and performance space.
GPAC’s floor area would increase from 11,000 square metres to 18,500sqm and the building would rise to five storeys.
But Mayor Darryn Lyons told a Geelong Business Network breakfast last week that the city should first invest in “economic drivers” before spending on the cultural precinct.
He cited proposals for a Yarra St Pier, a convention centre and a mineral springs spa at Eastern Beach as projects that would “leverage off private investment”.
“I’m passionate about GPAC as well but we need economic drivers first to build our cultural precincts.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...