Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyFord cuts 70 more from its Geelong plant

Ford cuts 70 more from its Geelong plant

MORE than 70 Ford workers are licking their wounds today as they’re told they’re no longer wanted by the company at its North Geelong plant.

All up, 199 Ford workers and the auto-makers Geelong and Broadmeadows plants are being sacked. Another 83 jobs have already gone to voluntary redundancy  or redeployment packages.

All up, around 120 Geelong manufacturing jobs have been but the majority of the redeployment jobs, the precise number is unclear, have been to the Geelong plant’s production and development facility.

The total 282 jobs mark the early dismissal of production jobs Ford has signalled will end in 2016 as it restructures its Australian operations to research and development.

Ford staff told the Independent most sacked workers had accepted today’s news “pretty well”.

AMWU vehicle division spokesman David Smith said the one-on-one notification Ford was giving workers of their job status made it “very, very difficult to speak to anyone”.

“But one my members was extremely disappointed,” he said.

“He was only three months short of 30 years service with the company and didn’t think he’d be on the list.”

Mr Smith said the union had been working closely with Ford to try support workers. Meetings would be convened at Geelong and Broadmeadow and Monday to provide support information

“We will encourage to people sign with the outplacement agents, as part of this service they will have people on the ground actively looking for jobs in workforce.”

Ford spokesman Wes Sherwood said that after all the separations expected this year Ford would retain around 350 manufacturing workers at Geelong and 450 at Broadmeadows.

Its design and engineering complement would stabilise around 1100 and another 400 professional roles, including hiring in marketing and sales for a new product range over coming years, would lift this figure to around 1500 after manufacturing stopped.

Mr Sherwood said Ford had invested $10 million with the Federal Government’s Innovation Fund which was being utilised by some 15 companies committed to generating more than 500 jobs in the area.

“We’re pleased at the progress helping employees transition,” he said.

“It’s obviously been very difficult but we’ve been committed to helping their future.”

— NOEL MURPHY

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Around the grounds

More News

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...

Further bonus for Ioniq 5

The Ioniq 5 burst onto the local electric vehicle scene more than three years ago like the greyhound favourite out of a trap at...

Stanthorpe Festival – crushing for 60 years

Queensland’s Granite Belt comes alive this month for the long-running Stanthorpe Apple and Grape Harvest Festival - a celebration of food, wine and community. The...

Storytelling under the stars

The region’s favourite annual celebration of Americana music returns this month with an all-female lineup. The fifth Americana on the Bellarine live music event will...

BCH farewells ‘integral member’

A much-loved local nurse is hanging up the scrubs after nearly 30 years of service to the Bellarine community. Bellarine Community Health (BCH) footcare nurse...

Gold for Jakara

Barwon Heads star Jakara Anthony has won gold in the newest Olympic event, Women’s Dual Moguls overnight. This adds to her moguls victory from Beijing...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong An afternoon of alpine music featuring "Alpen Musikanten". Sunday 22 February 12pm to 5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available...