Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyOne ALDI out as two backed

One ALDI out as two backed

Kim Waters
Geelong councillors have shot down plans for an ALDI supermarket in Geelong West.
But they have thrown their weight behind the budget supermarket chain’s plans to open stores at Highton and Drysdale.
Council withdrew its support for a planning scheme amendment to allow the Geelong West ALDI on the corner of Shannon Avenue and Albert Street.
Councillor Jan Farrell said the proposal was “contrary” to the intent of an Ashby precinct heritage review and would worsen traffic problems in the area.
She said ALDI had lodged its planning permit application in a “seemingly devious manner”.
Cr Farrell also had “no faith” Planning Minister Justin Madden’s advisory committee would make the right decision on the ALDI application.
“We cannot destroy heritage buildings for the sake of development, especially with the amount of work gone into protecting the area.”
Cr Bruce Harwood said ALDI “missed the mark” with the Geelong West proposal.
He admitted to also being “not overly-thrilled” about the proposed site at Highton, adjacent to Waurn Ponds Shopping Centre.
“It is one, if not the, busiest intersection in Geelong,” he said.
“This will be an interesting test for traffic. It will be a very, very congested area.”
Councillors supported revised plans for the Drysdale site, including relocating the building further West, increasing parking spaces and allowing space for three additional shops.
The proposal drew opposition from some residents on traffic grounds but lobby group Bellarine Futures believed the proposal provided ample parking as well as additional shopping opportunities and competition between supermarkets.
The proposal will now go to Mr Madden’s advisory committee for approval.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...