Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyAFL backs Cats in bid for $140m

AFL backs Cats in bid for $140m

By NOEL MURPHY

AFL BOSS Andrew Demetriou has pledged his support for the Geelong Cats’ $140 million stage four and five redevelopment of Simonds Stadium.
But he hedged at any specific financial commitment, telling the Independent an AFL contribution would depend on governments also backing the project.
The Independent revealed earlier this month that the club had begun pitching the project to potential funding sources, including state and federal governments.
The project would complete the Simonds Stadium upgrade and eclipse the $104 million spent on the first three stages.
The club wasted little time tackling the fund-raising task, beginning talks before the third stage upgrade opened under lights with a spectacular night game this month.
“The AFL is supportive of the further development of Simonds Stadium,” Mr Demetriou told the Independent.
“We have not yet committed to a further funds contribution, as that would be dependent on federal and state support.”
Mr Demetriou said the AFL considered Simonds Stadium “extremely important to the western district” in providing elite sport and AFL matches.
“The economic and social benefit to the Geelong region by playing AFL matches in the Geelong area is incredibly important,” Mr Demetriou said.
“I cannot provide an answer on the timeframe for further work as that is dependent primarily on government support for the project.”
The region’s federal MPs, Richard Marles and Darren Cheeseman, have expressed support for the project but were reluctant to predict whether it might secure a Commonwealth funding commitment before the 14 September election.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...