Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyDrysdale bypass best in 'stages’, says study

Drysdale bypass best in ‘stages’, says study

By MICHELLE HERBISON

VICROADS will recommend a “staged approach” to development of a Drysdale bypass, according to the organisation’s regional roads director.
William Tieppo said VicRoads would use a Victorian Integrated Traffic Model (VITM) to determine the proposed bypass’s impact on the town, considering it as “part of a broader solution” to local traffic issues.
“This model takes into account land use, population growth and current and projected traffic volumes and will provide a good understanding as to how a staged approach could deliver the maximum in the short and long term,” Mr Tieppo said.
VicRoads completed an initial assessment at the end of last year, determining a key issue to be congestion from a lack of capacity at several key intersections of High St.
“Since completing this work, VicRoads has undertaken more in-depth analysis of potential road network upgrades to address these issues, including the construction of a bypass around Drysdale,” Mr Tieppo said.
The Independent reported last July that Drysdale Clifton Springs Community Association was spearheading a campaign to put a Drysdale bypass on council and State Government agendas.
Secretary Patrick Hughes said residents at public meetings last year had expressed strong interest in a bypass.
“The bypass rumbles underneath a number of things. For example, a lot of people’s concern is with traffic and parking, which with a bypass becomes less of an issue.”
The Independent reported last year that VicRoads figures from April 2011 found the number of vehicles travelling in High St south of Murradoc Rd was at 18,000 a day, nearing its 24,000 capacity.
A City of Greater Geelong planning scheme has included a Drysdale bypass since 1985, with State Government so far having acquired 50 per cent of the land required, according to Member for Bellarine Lisa Neville.
Ms Neville in parliament this week requested that Roads Minister Terry Mulder release details of the project assessment, which had been due last December.
“At this stage neither the council nor the community has had any feedback or liaison re this work or the assessment which was due to be completed almost six months ago,” she told parliament.
Mr Mulder directed the Independent’s enquiries to VicRoads without responding directly to Ms Neville’s comments.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...