Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCall to reveal full threat to $2b tourism icon: Ocean road to...

Call to reveal full threat to $2b tourism icon: Ocean road to ruin

By NOEL MURPHY

STATE Government must release a report detailing the full extent of damage to the Great Ocean Road from tidal surges, storms, rock-falls, landslides, inadequate drainage and heavy use, according to lobby groups.
G21 and Geelong Otway Tourism (GOT) have called for Victorian Roads Minister Terry Mulder to release the VicRoads report in a bid to ramp up pressure on state and federal governments to jointly fund major improvements.
They warned that more than $2 billion in annual tourism revenue from the Great Ocean Road was at risk without a major overhaul of funding arrangements.
“We’re not really asking for a lot but it’s essential because without it the whole road could be compromised and run the risk of compromising the lifeblood of many townships,” G21 head Elaine Carbines told the Independent.
The road receives $3.5 million a year from State Government for maintenance but G21 and GOT believe it needs $10 million. They want the state to boost its input $1.5 million and Canberra to match it with another $5 million.
“It’s not just the odd rock-fall or drainage problem but the whole fabric of the road that’s being compromised,” GOT boss Roger Grant told the Independent.
“This isn’t about just superficial issues, it’s about fundamental structural issues.”
The VicRoads report, titled Great Ocean Road Management Strategy, was completed last year after significant problems including a week-long closure of the road in 2011.
Ms Carbines said the report would be “really useful” for convincing Federal Government to provide funding.
“We contributed to it, a number of stakeholders contributed, we haven’t seen the final report but it covers all sorts of areas – traffic management, peak times, maintenances and upkeep, traffic flows – we’re expecting it will be useful in its advocacy.”
Mr Grant feared State Government had shelved the issue but argued it must “come out of the too-hard basket”.
The road had 7.2 million users each year, including 1.7 million tourists, he said.
“Each year Kakadu gets 170,000 tourists and Uluru 252,000 … both Kakadu and Uluru are funded by the Federal Government yet the Great Ocean Road is not.”
Mr Mulder’s spokesperson said the minister had yet to receive the report.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...