Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyTAFE funding damage done

TAFE funding damage done

A $200 State Government million TAFE funding announcement has done little to repair the jobs and revenue lost last year, local education union and Gordon Institute representatives believe.
Australian Education Union Geelong branch spokeswoman Rosemary Crowe said the funding was a “positive start” for new Victorian Premier Denis Napthine but only a “small step towards repairing the significant damage last year’s budget cuts [caused]”.
Ms Crowe said the new funding would go towards technology and innovation projects rather than individual institutions’ operational costs.
She said the funding failed to re-employ 2000 Australian teachers who lost their jobs in last year’s cuts and many contract teaching positions failed to be renewed.
“Significant fee increases” had also curtailed prospective students’ plans to study at TAFE, she said.
“These funds are not going to help those students.”
Gordon chief executive Grant Sutherland said the institution “took a long-term approach” to address last year’s cuts and ensure a “financially sustainable future”.
Gordon Institute had to sell assets including its Fenwick St church facility to assist socially disadvantaged students with funding, he said.
But Mr Sutherland remained confident Gordon Institute was “well-positioned” to secure money from the new State Government scheme’s competitive tender.
Mr Sutherland said one of Gordon Institute’s “strategic priorities”, innovation, was a key focus of the tender.
“There are still challenges Gordon faces as State Government transforms the TAFE sector.
“Gordon is in a very strong position and opportunities to tap into the $200 million further adds to this strength,” Mr Sutherland said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...