Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyPolice reveal plans to slash drunken violence: Cop bid for 3am lockout

Police reveal plans to slash drunken violence: Cop bid for 3am lockout

A THREE-month trial of 3am lockouts at Geelong nightclubs could begin next month, police have revealed.
Sergeant Aaron Riches said police hoped to begin the trial by the end of April.
The lockouts would prevent further patrons entering nightclubs after 3am to clear revellers from city streets.
“High-risk venues” Home House, Eureka, Rumours and Titanium were likely candidates for the controversial lockouts, aimed at reducing drunken violence.
Sgt Riches said police would have preferred to begin the lockouts at 2am.
The Independent revealed earlier this year that Deakin University research had found Geelong’s self-regulation measures to cut drunken assaults were inferior to Newcastle’s system of earlier closing times.
Geelong MP Ian Trezise later called for 1am lockouts after a 36 per cent hike in Geelong assaults.
Geelong Nightlife Association boss Darren Holroyd slammed lockouts.
He said Newcastle’s reduction in assaults came off a low base and Geelong’s anti-violence initiatives, such as scanning licences on entry and two-way radio communication between venues and police, had significantly reduced alcohol-related assaults.
The Geelong assaults rise was unrelated to nightclub violence, which was “actually going down,’’ Mr Holroyd said.
“Inside the premises, it’s fine – it’s out on the streets. And talking to taxi drivers, they say (lockouts) will only will make people angrier.
“Also, the last thing you want as a parent is your kids driving to Melbourne because they can’t get into a club in Geelong.”
Mr Holroyd said early lockouts would encourage clubs to attract patrons through cheap drink stunts, which the association had worked hard to discourage.
Mr Trezise said 1am lockouts were “a reasonable call that should be at least be considered by State Government, local police and nightclub operators, especially in light of New South Wales’ move to actually close clubs at 3am”.
“I’m not critical of the nightlife association, it’s introduced numerous initiatives, but I’m concerned about the 36 per cent increase in street assaults.
“There aren’t any blues in the nightclubs, that’s my point – keep the kids in the clubs, not walking the streets.’’

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...