Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyParks blamed over dive in wreck visits

Parks blamed over dive in wreck visits

VISITOR numbers to Ocean Grove’s HMAS Canberra have “dropped off” due to Parks Victoria’s failure to rebuild the dive site’s reputation after a three-month closure more than a year ago, according to a local diving operator.
Dive Victoria’s Jason Salter said Parks Victoria had failed to “put enough effort” into promoting the $10 million site to visitors.
“Parks has done such a poor job of managing the site. We carried lots of people when it first opened but those numbers have dropped off more than they should have because of lack of promotion and support for the project.”
The previous State Government scuttled the former Navy ship in October 2009 to create an artificial reef and dive attraction.
The Independent reported in October 2011 Mr Salter’s calls for Parks to reopen the site after safety concerns forced its closure.
“I informed Parks about a section that had dislodged then two days later I told them it had fallen into the sea and was safe,” Mr Salter said.
“There was no need for it to be closed – this is just a typical reaction of the Government trying to cover its a..e.”
Geelong Otway Tourism’s Roger Grant agreed the ship’s attraction had “lost momentum”, requiring further promotion.
“State Government is the legal entity responsible for the ship, so if divers are injured or worse they’re accountable. They would rather see the wreck as safe as possible but it has been a shame it did have that break in continuity.”
Mr Grant said in 2011 the vessel had “shifted a bit further” than expected, requiring closure and an investigation to deem it safe.
Geelong Otway Tourism would boost the HMAS Canberra’s marketing within the dive industry, he said.
“We’ve engaged photographers out there to take some time-lapse still and moving footage. People will be amazed at the growth of sea-life around the wreck since its sinking.”
A Parks Victoria spokesperson said the department planned “further promotions” for the site this year.
“The closure of the site two years ago was unfortunate but absolutely necessary in the interests of public safety. We work actively with operators to promote their businesses wherever possible.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...