Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMotel man slams dodgy planning

Motel man slams dodgy planning

Alex de Vos
A Geelong lawyer has demanded a shake up of Surf Coast Shire’s planning processes after losing his second bid to build a motel in Torquay.
Torquay Towers proponent Andrew Senia labelled the shire planning committee’s knock back “ambiguous, inconsistent, incorrect and impractical”.
“After nearly a year of procrastination and delay it has taken it upon itself to reject the application on the ambiguous grounds of what it prefers or does not prefer,” Mr Senia said.
The decision raised “serious questions” about the shire’s planning department, he said.
“The shire is reviewing its planning policies and procedures and this is long-overdue but it’s cold comfort to Torquay Towers and other developers who have had to pay holding costs and charges due to long and unnecessary delays and procedures.”
Torquay Towers had proposed a three-storey motel at 2-4 Geelong Road, comprising 36 apartments, covered parking for 33 cars, a reception centre and a manager’s residence.
The motel had the backing of Geelong Otway Tourism.
The planning department told the architect to go back to the drawing board with the first application to return with a plan befitting the site, opposite a roundabout at the start of the Great Ocean Road.
The planning department wanted a “more iconic design”.
Mr Senia doubted the shire put similar conditions on other developments.
“Is the RACV building, for which the shire recently granted a permit to build a resort (at 1 Great Ocean Road), iconic?”
Mr Senia said his architect’s second design “conformed to the wishes of the first committee”.
But the committee knocked it back because it did not “achieve the preferred character”.
Mr Senia said the goal posts changed for his project when a different committee reviewed the second application.
The first committee had approved the size of the motel but the second ruled it was too big, he said
Mr Senia called on Surf Coast Shire’s chief executive officer and mayor to review his application.
“All traders, developers and people in the tourism industry deserve a lot better,” Mr Senia said.
A spokesperson said the shire would not review the application.
“The committee acts with the delegated authority of the council,” the spokesperson said.
“The committee considered that, on balance, the proposed use (was) appropriate for the site (but) the designs submitted to date are not considered to respond adequately to the relevant planning controls.”
The spokesperson said Mr Senia could submit “a fresh application” or appeal to VCAT.
The spokesperson did not answer the Independent’s question whether the shire’s planning rules had a clause allowing rejection of plans that were not “iconic”.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...