Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMayor raises school bus concerns

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region’s students are able to safely travel to school by bus.

Mayor Stretch Kontelj released the statement on Tuesday afternoon, saying school transport “failures” were “one of the most frequently raised issues” he encountered among “parents and school leaders across both public and independent schools”.

“In recent weeks St Joseph’s College, Western Heights, Clonard College, Belmont High School and North Geelong Secondary College have expressed concerns publicly about severe overcrowding, safety risks and significant service deficiencies,” he said.

“The concerns raised are consistent and increasingly urgent: severe overcrowding, capacity shortfalls, buses unable to service key growth areas, inadequate timetabling, and a system so complex and outdated that schools are unable to navigate it effectively.

“These are not isolated incidents; they reflect a systemic failure to meet the basic expectation that children can travel safely to and from school.”

Mayor Kontelj said parents and staff had reported situations where more than 20 students stood in bus aisles while the vehicle was travelling at up to 100km/h on highways and major roads.

He said such situations could not be “considered compliant with modern safety guidelines or risk frameworks”, while the processes around addressing such issues were “outdated and unworkable”.

“Schools are required to negotiate individually with multiple private bus operators to request additional capacity or service adjustments, and then seek approval and funding through the Department of Transport – a process that is often slow, unclear and inconsistent,” he said.

“Ensuring safe and accessible school transport requires strong cooperation across government, and there is an opportunity to strengthen alignment between the Department of Transport and the Department of Education so that planning, capacity responses and safety considerations reflect the day-to-day realities of school communities.

“A more coordinated and collaborative model, with both departments working closely together, would provide clarity for schools and help ensure decisions are made with student safety and accessibility at the centre.

“Our region has already experienced the trauma and far-reaching consequences of serious bus incidents. We must do everything possible to prevent further harm, and current conditions do not provide confidence that risks are being adequately managed.”

Mayor Kontelj said the City of Greater Geelong was committed to addressing the issues and would willingly work with the state government to bring together key stakeholders to find a way forward.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...