Alex de Vos
$220 million would be enough to duplicate the princes Highway between Waurn Ponds and Winchelsea, State Government said yesterday.
A spokesman for Roads Minister Tim Pallas confirmed federal Labor had the right costing amid Liberal claims the project faced a funding “black hole” of $125 million.
Labor candidate for Corangamite Darren Cheeseman announced on Wednesday a Rudd Government would provide $110 million for the duplication, with Victoria to match the payment.
But State Government has yet to say whether it would pay its share.
Liberal Member for Corangamite Stewart McArthur said former state Transport Minister Peter Batchelor had announced last year that duplicating the road from Waurn Ponds to Winchelsea would cost “at least” $290 million.
Mr McArthur said yesterday the costing disparity and State Government policy of contributing only 25 per cent to Auslink road projects meant the project faced a funding shortfall of $125 million.
“Labor’s costing error shows this is a desperate, last-minute promise that cannot be believed,” Mr McArthur said.
“This promise cannot be believed two days out from the election because state and federal Labor have effectively promised only about half the money required, so this project will never be delivered.”
But the spokesperson for Mr Pallas denied the duplication would cost $290 million.
The higher costing was for duplicating the road with an extension from Anglesea Road to Princes Highway West, the spokesperson said.
But state and federal Labor had since committed separate funding to the Anglesea Road link as part of Geelong’s bypass project, so it was not included in this week’s costing, the spokesperson said.
“The only estimation we have received from Vicroads to duplicate the highway is $220 million.”
Mr Cheeseman said the duplication commitment was a “fantastic announcement for our region”.
“It is great for industry, great for commuters and it will save lives,” he said.