A beautiful soul taken too soon

Milla was very artistic and is pictured wearing a Year 6 school shirt that she designed herself. (supplied)

The family of a 12-year-old Teesdale girl who died in a school-bus crash on Wednesday morning is grieving the loss of a “beautiful soul with the whole world in front of her”.

Year 7 Christian College Geelong student Milla Killeen died when the bus crashed at Stonehaven about 8.20am Wednesday, August 27.

The family released a statement on Thursday saying they are still trying to come to terms with Milla’s death.

“Our whole family are struggling to come to terms with the loss of our beloved Milla,” the statement said.

“We were made aware of the crash quite quickly, but it wasn’t for several hours that our worst fears were realised – Milla was the one that was sadly taken.

“She was a beautiful soul with the whole world in front of her. Milla had the patience of a saint. She was so kind and protective of those she loved, especially her younger brother.

“Milla was thriving at school where she loved learning new languages. It brought us great joy when she would come home and try to teach her nan bits of Indonesian or Japanese that she’d learned throughout the day.

“Milla was very artistic, enjoyed drawing and designing lots of different things and she loved her sport. She used to play junior footy but lately had been focusing on basketball where she reached representative level and was about to play in a final on Friday night.

“Milla was a passionate supporter of the Geelong Football Club, and we will always remember her sitting in the stands with her mum and pa, cheering for the Cats.

“We don’t know why this has happened. It’s difficult to describe all the emotions we feel right now but we are supporting one another and now ask that our family’s privacy is respected.”

Milla was an up and coming basketballer with Geelong United and the club said it was “deeply saddened” by Milla’s passing.

“Geelong United Basketball is deeply saddened by the tragic passing of Milla Killeen in yesterday’s bus crash in Stonehaven,” it said on Thursday.

“Milla was a talented young athlete who proudly represented our Under 14 Girls 2 squad.

“Her love for the game, her teammates, and her bright spirit will be remembered by all in our community.

“Our deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences go out to Milla’s family, friends, and teammates during this incredibly difficult time.

“The entire Geelong United Basketball community stands with you in grief and support.”

Christian College Geelong executive principal Dr Mathilda Joubert paid tribute to Milla on Thursday.

“Milla will be remembered for her beautiful personal qualities, her vibrancy and infectious personality,” she said.

“Her kindness, warmth and joy impacted all who shared her company. Milla was a keen and talented basketballer, and an integral part of the Christian College representative team at the recent State Championships. She was a treasured member of our college community, and her loss is deeply felt by all staff, students and our Christian College families.

“This is a time of unimaginable loss. Our deepest sympathies and prayers are with Milla’s family, and our college will continue to provide ongoing support. In our deep grief, we are also coming together as a community to support one another, drawing strength from God, and the care and compassion that Milla herself demonstrated to others.

“We ask that the family’s privacy, and that of our College community, be respected as we mourn this tragedy together.”

Major Collision Investigation Unit detectives continue to investigate the crash.

Emergency services were called to the Hamilton Highway following reports a school bus had rolled over about 8.20am on Wednesday 27 August.

It’s believed the bus was turning left onto the Hamilton Highway from Friend in Hand Road when the incident occurred.

There were 28 school students on board the bus at the time ranging from primary to secondary school age.

A 16-year-old boy from Inverleigh was airlifted to hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening, injuries.

The driver of the bus, a 76-year-old Hamlyn Heights man, along with nine students sustained non-life-threatening injuries and were conveyed to hospital by road ambulance.

A further 14 students were taken to hospital for observation.

The bus driver has been interviewed and released pending further enquiries.

The investigation remains ongoing.