Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsProtests soar during airshow

Protests soar during airshow

Protestors will continue to target the Avalon Australian International Airshow across Greater Geelong this week.

Activists will hold a blockade along Avalon’s Beach Road from 7am on Wednesday, March 26, to stop defence personnel from entering the airshow during its major trade day.

Anti-war rallies have also been organised in North Geelong, Corio and Lara during the airshow’s public days from Friday, March 28, to Sunday, March 30.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defense Richard Marles said he was disappointed in the actions people were taking against the airshow.

“The airshow is really one of the great Geelong events and they’re (protestors) not going to get in the way of that,” he said.

Mr Marles’ Brougham Street office was targeted on March 19 with anti-war graffiti that said, ‘weapons out of Geelong’ and ‘war crimes start here’, along with a smashed window.

The bomb squad was also called to AMDA Foundation’s (organiser of the Avalon Airshow) North Geelong office on March 21 after two female protestors dropped off a suspicious package at reception while chanting and filming.

A bomb detection robot removed the package at about 1.30pm, which was later found not to contain any dangerous materials.

Mr Marles said acts of vandalism and threats were “not making any point” and that “freedom of speech should be exercised with speech”.

“It’s a small number of people who are really behaving in a way which is so reprehensible, and I don’t think it’s representative of how people feel,” he said.

“Along the way, they’re seeking to intimidate people in a completely inappropriate way. Ultimately, the victims are ordinary people in Geelong who are just going about their business.

“We live in a society where there’s freedom of speech and people have the right to have an opinion but vandalism and intimidating people in their workplace is not freedom of speech.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...