.

By Luke Voogt

The Royal Geelong Yacht Club has scaled back stage one plans of its waterfront redevelopment by $5.5 million following a Federal Government funding rejection.
The club had originally planned a $19m first stage with $9m from the Federal Government’s Building Better Regions Fund, said general manager Phil Clohesy.
But the Commonwealth rejected the club’s application.
“We had anticipated that would be real challenge to get up,” Mr Clohesy said.
“We just didn’t meet all their criteria is the way they put it.”
But Mr Clohesy said scaling back the funding could help the club get the “vital” Geelong Waterfront Safe Harbour Project underway sooner.
“We said ‘what can we do in the interim while we’re still pursuing funding from various agencies, including the Federal Government?’
“We’ve just been encouraged by our funding partners to get the project up and running.”
Mr Clohesy welcomed City Hall reconfirming its $3m commitment to the revised project on Wednesday night.
He said beginning construction could “open the door like it did for Simonds Stadium”, which had undergone $177m in renovations since its stage one development in 2003.
“Once construction starts the waterfront becomes a much greater focus.”
But Mr Clohesy declined to detail which elements of stage one that the club would scrap with the revised budget.
The club had acquired $4m from the State Government and was chasing $3.5m from Victorian School Building Authority for the sailing school component of the project, he said.
“We’ll be in a position to announce what elements of the first stage would change once the funding is fully committed.”
The club had made a further application for Federal funding to the $20 Geelong Regional Jobs and Investment Package, he said.
“We anticipate there are some further funding announcements imminent which will allow us to commence the project on a $13.5m basis.”
The Royal Geelong Yacht Club would commit the remaining $3m for the project, Mr Clohesy said.
In a statement on Thursday, City Hall said it had extended its offer of $3 million to club until December 2018 to give it time to secure additional funding.
The statement stressed the importance of ensuring the building of public open spaces in stage one “given the uncertainty around funding for future stages”.

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.

More News

. ...

Deakin University’s Carbon Nexus centre received a $5 million boost from the Federal Government on Tuesday to expand its operations. ...

Police want reports of suspicious after-hours activity on building sites after recovering a “large hoard” of stolen tradie items at ...

Barwon Health’s new helipad helped save almost three lives a week across Victoria since it opened in June 2016. Almost 200 ...

Those boots might be made for walking but 300 pairs of free shoes are making a real impression in East Geelong. ...

Gary Ablett Jnr has paid an emotional tribute to the “overwhelming” support he received after the death of his sister. ...

Latest Sport

Connecting with each other is the theme to North Geelong Warriors recent road trip around the region. The under-12s ...

On the Bite, by Chris Pitman Last week’s great weather spoiled anglers for choice, with a wide range of ...

Local Cricket, by Jim Timberlake Despite another strong showing, the Geelong Cricket Club is yet to gain any points in ...

Entertainment

Adelaide songstress Michaela Burger cried when she first heard the music of Edith Piaf, beginning a lifelong obsession with the ...

Few musicians will create the fanaticism which surrounded The Beatles, but tribute artist Chris Frazer has had a small taste. ...

The Hope Song is a play like no other, according to Grovedale actor Simon Finch. The father-of-two plays Dave, a 36...